Beaded monogram of the letters “JG” that I did for a friend. I wanted the colours to reflect those of a medieval codex, or at least what I imagine those colours should be. 😉
I made this applique then found the perfect colour and size handbag to put it on.The soft green background made it hard to find just the right item to bring out the pastel colour.
When creating the applique, I wanted to experiment with a suspended pendant pearl and I think it turned out really well. The open section of the heart shape is a perfect place for a pearl!
It needed something to pull it and the bag together so I added a little spray of beaded fringe to the bottom of the heart.
Once the applique was on the bag, I thought it needed a little more to tie it to it’s background, so a few gold and amber crystals were added to the bag to keep the bling going!
This is little handbag that I spiced up with a lovely applique. The appliques is on a very soft green satin background and is embellished with glass beads, sequins, faux pearls and amber crystals. A large teardrop pearl is suspended between the upper lobes of the heart on a beaded strand. A spray of fringe springs from the bottom tip of the heard. A sprinkling of a bronze and amber crystals surround the heart and tie the sage and soft greens together.
My beaded piece “Early 20th Century Headdress” (originally called “Gatsby”) received an Honorable Mention at the Kamloops Arts Council ‘s “Art Exposed” exhibit! 🙂
This is great because I wasn’t sure beadwork would be a good medium for a show like this, but apparently it is. Yay!
Lux Mystica at the Biltmore cabaret. Pictured is my beautiful assistant. Great fun! Met lots of cool folks and saw much neat stuff… 🙂
Thanks to everyone who stopped by the Lux Mystica table to chat and check out our sparklies!
The photo is a little blurry. It was dark and atmospheric and very burlesque.
I hear there will be more VIBF events coming up and I encourage you to come out and participate!
A while ago I started a headdress by making medallions. I called the project “Gatsby”.
I left it for a while as I thought about assembling the medallions into the headdress the way I wanted. I changed my mind a couple of times, but finally I decided how to link the three circles. I used the thick interfacing that I used to back the medallions, making a band of two connected strips which are darted to form a curved centre. I was going to put a plastic headband under it, but I am still not sure it needs that. A wire sewed under might suffice, but we shall see once it has been completely beaded so I know the final weight of it.
These are pictures of it in progress – not done yet, but to show that I haven’t forgotten old Gatsby, it’s just that it’s a big project and I want it done exactly right. Click for larger views!
Two new beaded appliques for a fascinator / hat! A lock and a key in golds and browns, bugle beads for structure and solidity. And they’re BIG. The key is 15cm ( a little over 6 inches).
These will be sewn onto a teardrop hat form base, which has been covered with a faux suede fabric.
The lock has the keyhole opening cut out and filled on the underside with dark lines of beads for a three dimensional effect. It works pretty good, I think!
The hat will also have netting on it, to tie all the elements together.
Cute and saucy hat pics coming soon…. 🙂