I made a belly dance costume for a friend. She needed something that suited the music and dance style of a piece she was going to perform in a big show. I had time to make something, so I did. The result was the “Art Deco” belly dance costume.
Firstly, although I had time, I didn’t have enough time. To make a full costume requires weeks, if not months, of work. But I had a plan: appliques. I could make the appliques while the body of the costume was being constructed and fitted so that when it was ready, the appliques just had to be placed and sewn on. Of course as the costume body came together, the placement of the appliques necessarily altered too, so in the end it was a puzzle to complete. But what a fun puzzle!
Then of course once the appliques were on there was filling in, edging and general tying together, but all in all it turned out great in an amazingly short amount of time!
I made three shapes in my appliques – circles, squares and crescent moons. I thought these would be good geometric/art deco motifs and they were sufficiently different from each other for contrast. The “square” was used as a diamond (Shreddies!) since a square is an awkward shape to put on a body.
The circle was predominantly gold tones, the moon silver and the “diamond’ a bit of both. The silver and gold together is a sophisticated look and softens the harshness that too much of one metallic can bring to a piece, especially under stage lighting. Plus it looked great on my friend.
I used fabric to soften the look even more – the dance was very romantic and a bit of ruched chiffon was just the thing!
By the way, the fit of the bra is amazing. I am going to use this pattern again. And again.